Sunday, April 22, 2007

Dr. Tim Keller - Blessed are the Poor


The first sermon posting is always going to be a difficult one, so I am first going to use the cliche "not necessarily in this order" out to just allow me to start somewhere.

The first sermon is from Tim Keller... If you haven't heard of Tim Keller, you have been missing out. I was just recently told about him, and already I have felt my world being altered and shifted in many ways. How do you pick a sermon by this guy as the one to listen to? Many may question this one as the one, but I just was struck with his insight and claims about the poor andI found it so enlightening, I guess I kind of wanted it to be a foundation for all that comes next. There are probably more exciting preachers to listen to, whose voices fluctuate more often, who jump and down and make you cry, but in terms of experience, thought provoking passion and insight, the Spirit of God is in Mr. Keller.

Tim Keller is an author, a speaker and the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbysterian Church in New York City, New York. For a great link of his resources, click here.

The sermon is titled, Blessed are the Poor.

If you want to download the link, click here. (You will need to scroll down find it under serving sermons... At the risk of repeating myself, this really is an amazing link of resources for Tim Keller, by the way... Check it out!)

If you want to stream the talk, click here.

I was trying to think of how to I could qualify or quantify what a sermon should be that would enable it to make the "cut" as part of the sermon of the day blog. And I feel unworthy of even commentating on men whom I am influenced by and in such respect of... When you get down to it, what sets a sermon apart in such a way, that it is really isn't just a preference thing. What makes one worship song on a Chris Tomlin CD a #1 hit where another is just o.k? And why does the one song resonate with so many? In some ways, sermons are I guess similar to this? A fresh look at a familiar passage? Some extra time of mediating and living the Word that week? Some prayer and fasting?

This sermon says things that I have never heard about the poor, words that can literally transform a life. Keller's words on the poor, albeit not a new concept or his invention, are so clearly explained that it has begun a change in my life in a way that when I look back in years to come will have this sermon as the catalytic point...

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, that was a great message. He said stuff I was not expecting to hear. He is so intellectually stimulating! I loved what he said about how we cannot stay "middle class in spirit" and believe the gospel. I'm gonna have to sit and think about this one for a while...A different perspective than I've heard before.
Where can we find the article by John Stott he mentioned I wonder?